I love cauliflower, no matter which recipe, so I was, of course, thrilled when I read for the first time something about Pizza made with cauliflower. Found the idea at first somewhat strange, but strange new food combinations are something I like. I can definitely recommend. I would lie if I said that the cauliflower pizza crust would be low calorie, but because it contains delicious cheese in the dough, that would be a lie.
But what is true it has hardly andy carbohydrates and is naturally gluten-free. But much more important, the cauliflower pizza crust is so delicious. Further a great way to incorporate in the diet of your kids, husband, wife or friends more vegetables. I admit the pizza with the cauliflower pizza crust tasted so good that I’ve eaten the whole pizza at once without sharing.
Compared to most cabbages, cauliflower is the easiest to digest. Considering it contains a lot of vitamin C, which does not play a particularly important role after long cooking but also has many other benefits. Cauliflower contains plenty of sulforaphane, which has a positive effect on the blood pressure and the kidney activity. B-vitamins including choline. Choline helps the brain activity, especially during a pregnancy or when you get older looking for things to improve your brain activity should be plus. In addition, cauliflower has plenty of folic acid and a lot fiber to improve your digestion.
You can also prepare a larger portion of the dough, have the crust already baked and when your guests arrive everyone can have their pizza with the ingredients of their choice, a large pizza party with friends. I promise you your guests will be amazed and thrilled by this delicious pizza.
Finding a good pizza is really hard, even when I could still eat “normal” pizza. The crust is either too thick, like Chicago still (sorry Chicago, love you, just not your pizza) and it just tastes like yeast or is too dry. The other alternative is a too thin crust, and oil dripping and soggy. The dough is thin with the cauliflower dough, without being too greasy.
Cauliflower Pizza CrustPrint This
- 1 Cauliflower head
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Mozarella Cheese grated
- Sea Salt for seasoning
- Black Pepper for seasoning
- Herbs like oregano for seasoning
- Either you have a steamer, then you should best shred the cauliflower into rice like consistency and then steam until tender. That way you add less water. Or you do not have a steamer then just cook the cauliflower.
- After the cauliflower rice is steamed (or cooked and then mashed) you put the slightly cooled cauliflower in a cotton towel and squeeze all water out. The put everything in a bowl and add the cheese, egg and season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Afterwards press the smooth dough on your baking sheet in the desired thickness.
- Bake the dough in the oven, until golden brown for approx. 30 minutes.
- Take the crust out of the oven, topp with tomato sauce and your favourite pizza toppings and bake again for approx. 10 more minutes.
- Enjoy! Guten Appetit as we Germans say!
For the vegan version leave the cheese out or use vegan cheese, add a flax seed egg and maybe a bit of tapioka starch, like 1 tbsp.