For chamomile most people are more likely to think of a medicinal plant than something they would cook with. In my opinion, a big mistake. Of course, a dish should not taste like the last infusion or something with which the throat is rinsed. But a touch of camomile with complementary flavors can be very exciting. For me, chamomile with a touch of vanilla and in Gewürztraminer boiled apples come together as a chamomile Panna Cotta with Gewürztraminer Apple.
Most know about the healing properties of chamomile know. Used to soothe the stomach, even when cooking, certainly not the worst, or as an anti-inflammatory tincture. Fresh chamomile flowers smell a bit like apple, so the pairing with the Gewürztraminer Apfel is a perfect match. The apple gives this delicious dessert the needed acidity.
On my blog you can already find a vegan Panna Cotta version, as vegan Coconut Panna Cotta with strawberry puree. In contrast, cream, milk and gelatine are used here. If necessary you can replace them with vegetable or coconut milk as well as agar agar. Otherwise, the dosage of the gelatin should be carefully considered. Nobody wants to eat Panna Cotta, which is reminiscent of concrete. On the spoon, it should have a creamy and light consistency.
The slightly sour apple gets a hot dip in delicious Gewürztraminer. Although Gewürztraminer is one of the oldest grape varieties in Germany, unfortunately it has become somewhat out of fashion. Fortunately, there are now many winegrowers who help the Gewürztraminer to make a comeback. In itself, the Gewürztraminer has a mild acidity and a fragrance that is reminiscent of roses. There are also violets, quinces, honey, passion fruit or marzipan. Dry or semi-dry, it goes well with cheese, like a blue cheese or spicy sauces. As an aperitif, Spätlese or Edelsüße Auslese is often served.
Although you are cooking with the wine, you should not save here and choose a good wine. After all, you will use the bottle only partially for cooking. Therefore, the rest of the wine, which of course fits wonderfully to the Chamomile Panna Cotta with Gewürztraminer Apple, should also taste good in the glass. In my case I chose Dürkheim Gewürztraminer trocken 2016 from Fitz Ritter from the Pfalz. Furthermore, I recommend a dry Gewürztraminer to counterbalance the Chamomile Panna Cotta. My tip, just have a look at the wine shop of your choice and try if possible.
Chamomile Panna Cotta with Gewürztraminer ApplePrint This
What do you need for the Chomomile Panna Cotta?
- 2.1 cups Whole Milk
- 2.1 cups Cream
- 1.7 oz. Chamomile Flowers dried
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 Vanilla Bean
- 3/4 tbsp Ground Gelatin or 8 sheets of Gelatin
What do you need for the Gewürztraminer Apple?
- 2-3 slightly sour apples – like Granny Smith or Braeburn
- 1/2 Lemon – Juice of the lemon
- 0.8 cups Gewürztraminer – dry
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Sugar
How to prepare the Gewürztraminer Apple?
- Peel and quarter the apples and remove the core of the apples.
- Fill a bowl with a little cold water and the juice of half a lemon.
- Cut the apples into small cubes and pour into the bowl with the water-lemon mixture.
- Caramelise butter and sugar in a small pot. Attention, do not let it get dark.
- Drain the apple cubes over a sieve and pour into the caramel. Careful, hot and it could splash.
- Turn the apple cubes a little and then deglaze with the Gewürztraminer.
- Almost completely reduce the Gewürztraminer.
- Allow the apple cubes to cool slightly and place them on the bottom of the panna cotta molds, which are best suited for silicone molds.
- Put the molds in the freezer for a while.
How to prepare the Chamomile Panna Cotta?
- Simmer the milk, cream, chamomile flowers and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and you can taste a light chamomile flavor.
- Pass the liquid through a sieve.
- Dissolve the gelatin in cold water or soak the sheets.
- Put the chamomile milk cream with the vanilla back into a saucepan and simmer gently.
- Put some hot liquid into the gelatin and then poor everything into the pot or squeeze the gelatin sheets and add to the hot liquid.
- Simmer gently until the gelatin dissolves.
- Allow the chamomile milk cream to cool slightly. Take the molds with the frozen Gewürztraminer apple from the freezer.
- Pour the chamomile milk cream on the Gewürztraminer apple into the mold. Keep everything in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Overturn the Chamomile Panna Cotta with Gewürztraminer Apfel onto a plate.