There a few ingredients that I despise that are snails, do not think there is anything more absurd to me then snails and another one used to be fennel. It is funny, I do like tea with fennel but fresh fennel was a total no go for me. A couple of days ago I was invited to this amazing Italian place in Hamburg. I decided to go for the tuna tartar, the one that was a regular and not the recommendation of the day. For the before mentioned reason the recommendation of the day was because of the fennel no option for me. Somehow they mixed up my order and I received the tuna tatar with fennel.
First I was really hungry and second of all I did not want to make a big fuss therefore I decided I keep my order and just leave the fennel out. Somehow some fennel got mixed into my tartar and what should I say, it was so delicious. For the next day I had friends over for dinner and decided I should come up with a fun fennel salad.
Actually my dinner guests where first also a bit shocked when they saw that the salad had fennel, luckily eventhough it was a completely different dish then mine they where also all finally in love with fennel. I like my Fennel, Persimmon, Pomegranate Salad so much I had it again the next day and if I would have more fennel at home I believe I would have it again tomorrow. Yes that Fennel, Persimmon, Pomegranate Salad is that good. You have the sweetness and juicyness of tomatoes and the persimmon, that a little tangy taste of the pomegranate together with fennel. I am not sure how I would describe the taste of fennel, nothing I can describe.
The Fennel, Persimmon, Pomegranate Salad is quick, besides getting pomegranate kernels out (without making a total mess in your kitchen). I highly recommend to put some disposable gloves on and the best tip is, fill a bowl with water and within the water get the kernels out of the pomegranate. within the water. No mess with the juice and it is easier to peel.
Fennel, Persimmon, Pomegranate SaladPrint This
- 2 Fennels
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate Kernels
- 2 Persimmons
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms
- 8 Red Radishes
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes – I love to buy the once in different colors and sizes.
- 2 Lemons
- 8 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 bunch Parsley
- Sea Salt – For seasoning
- Black Pepper – For seasoning
- Wash the fennel, cut the stem of and thinly slice the fennel and put either everything in a bowl or serve like me on plates. When you use plates, first arrange the fennel on the plate, kind of like carpaccio.
- Wash the Persimmons and also thinly slice them and either add to the bowl or arrange on the plate on top or next to the fennel. Do the same with the mushrooms and red radishes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, also either in the bowl or on top of the radishes and mushrooms. Wash and chop the parsley, sprinkle on top.
- Season with fresh black pepper and sea salt, squeeze the lemons over the salad as well as drizzle the olive oil on top.