Cevice is a Peruvian and Latin American dish. Normally fresh, raw fish is used for cevice. The fish is marinated in lime or lemon juice. Because of the acid in the juice the raw fish is kind of “cooked” and will become very tender. This Hearts of Palm Cevice is a vegan version of this delicious recipe.
Whereas cevice is served with fish I use hearts of palm that look a bit like octopus when cut. Hearts of palm are a vegetables harvested from the inner core of certain palm trees. The tree is harvested and the bark is removed leaving the white inner part, the heart of palm. Moreover the flavor is very mild and reminds me a bit of artichokes. In addition hearts of palms have a healthy amount of potassium, good for a regular heartbeat and stimulating your nerves. Further they add Vitamin B6 to your diet.
This vegan Hearts of Palm Cevice is a nice surprise for most people that only know cevice with fish and probably have never eaten Hearts of Palm. To me food is about change. Celebrating the change of season by eating seasonal food and also by exploring new ingredients and dishes. There are so many foods and dishes in the world, most we will never try. Still, if we get a chance to discover new fun things, we should at least give it a try.
Hearts of Palm CevicePrint This
What do you need for making Hearts of Palm Cevice?
- 1 can Hearts of Palm – 14 ounce
- 1 large Tomato – diced, no seeds
- 1/2 small Red Onion – diced
- 1 small Jalapeno Chili – Without seeds, diced
- 1/2 Avocado – diced
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper – diced
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro – Fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Limes – Juice of the limes
- Sea Salt – For seasoning
- Black Pepper – For seasoning
How to make Hearts of Palm Cevice?
- Drain the Hearts of Palms and cut them into rings. Place everything in a bowl.
- Wash the tomatoes in half, take out the seeds and then dice the tomatoes.
- Dice the onion, avocado, red bell peppers and add them to the bowl with the hearts of palm. Add the lime juice to the bowl.
- Wash and chop the cilantro and add to the bowl. Cut the japalpeno chili in half, take the seeds out and dice them really small. Everything to the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, season with salt and black pepper. Leave for 30 minutes, afterwards taste again and maybe season with more salt and pepper.