Same as probably most people, okay not if you might live in Miami, then you are so over the cold weather and all you want is sunshine. Sunshine makes life just happier in general, people are more friendly, days are longer. The cold, dark days are so short since the sun leaves much earlier, sometimes it feels like the sun was not even there to begin with. With the sunshine comes my urge to be more active, like running in the morning before work but also to eat fresh and delicious salads. Mostly during the fall and winter all I have is soup in all kind of variations. Do me this Horseradish Cucumber Salad, that is also vegan and as always gluten free, is the perfect salad. There is this delicious creamy sauce with some twist when the horseradish comes in.
I was not a fan of horseradish for a very long time. Probably it is mostly served not fresh but as a convenient product with cream together with smoked salmon. Since I really do not like smoked salmon much, probably I started to also dislike horseradish. Then I was at a restaurant and I had this very traditional dish, a cooked beef with potatoes and fresh horseradish. The dish totally convinced my and since then, I love that taste. Therefore, if you are also a fan of horseradish, not only try my Horseradish Cucumber Salad but further my Beetroot Salad with fresh Horseradish. The beetroot dish really converted some horseradish haters into lovers.
Not to forget, horseradish is extremely healthy. Especially when you have a cold, problems with your sinuses eating more horseradish might be a good idea. The mustard oil in the horseradish gives it the spiciness. Further, those oils are antibacterial and can support your immune system. It helps that bacteria is not growing. If you have a cold maybe eat some dishes with horseradish, probably will not hurt. From experience I know, I was having a sinus infection when I created this Horseradish Cucumber Salad, will work wonders and you will be able to breath better, at least for a short while.
Not only does horseradish work anti-bacterial, it also works against inflammation. Since horseradish does contain quercetin, a plant pigment, that had the effect your body will produce less histamin. From a distance you might say that horseradish is an anti-histamin that you should eat when you have hay fever. Nevertheless I do believe food can be your medicine still you should eat food that you like otherwise I do not think it has a positive affect on your mind or body.
Horseradish Cucumber SaladPrint This
- 1 big Cucumber
- 4.2 ounce Coconut Yoghurt or any yoghurt that is unsweetened that you prefer
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 spritzer White Wine Vinegar
- 0.5 – 1 inch Horseradish fresh, grated
- Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp Dill
- First wash the cucumber, peeled or not is your decision, cut it in thin slices. Salt the cucumber and massage the salt in it. Leave for 10-15 minutes. The salt will make sure that the cucumber will loose some water. After that time press the cucumbers to get most water out, throw the water away.
- Mix yoghurt, lemon juice, spritzer of white wine vinegar, chopped dill and season with a bit of salt, not too much since you already salted the cucumbers. Season with pepper, then peel the horseradish and grate it, mix with the rest of the dressing. The dressing also needs a bit time to develop the flavor. Do not season too much, rather season a bit more when you mixed the cucumbers and dressing and everything had some time.
- After you got rid of the water, add the dressing to the cucumbers, mix everything and let it sit for around 30 minutes. Taste again and maybe season a bit more. Enjoy!!