Winter now has me firmly in his hands. Last week, I had to exchange my beloved coat for something warmer. I look more like a Michelin figure in that, but better than freezing. The temperatures also ensure that I eat more soups and stews then salads. One of my favorite ingredients is lentils for this. Lentils are incredibly versatile, you can conjure up many different dishes with it. The best thing about them is that they are incredibly cheap, tasty and long-lasting due to the high fiber and protein. My lentil soup with spinach and lemon is cooked super fast. Only, the soaking of the lentils takes some time. When you cook in the evening, already soak them in the morning.
The current weather is rather depressing. Only when you have to, you leave home and go outside. Then it is nice when at home a delicious and warm dish is waiting for you. Some days it does feel that it never gets light at all. My motivation after a long day at work than focuses on my couch. Mostly I do not have much energy to spend a long time in the kitchen. For me it has to go as fast as possible, without much frills. If possible I’ll have a dish, which I can cook in larger portions, to take it to work the next day.
In the case of my lentil soup with spinach and lemon I even had so much that my favorite colleague Jenny could also enjoy a hot meal. We both were glad not to have to go our usual way to the supermarket to buy a salad. I confess, in that case it was not a lentil soup with spinach and lemon, because unfortunately I had no spinach left. Jenny was still happy and immediately asked me for the recipe. She had to wait a few days, because unfortunately a day has not enough hours. Here is the recipe for my favorite colleague and you. As a blogger with a normal full-time job, one or the other hobby and a circle of friends, finding the time for regular entries is not always easy.
By the way, the lentil soup gets some lightness and a slightly Mediterranean touch through the lemon. I’m a big friend of citrus in the food, as you could see from my spaghetti with lemon sauce. Still happy how much you liked that recipe by the way. Apparently you also like dishes with lemon. Another good reason to cook the lentil soup with spinach and lemon once.
Lentil Soup with Spinach and LemonPrint This
What do you need for the Lentil Soup with Spinach and Lemon?
- 2 cups Lentils – brown or green, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 2 rods of Leeks
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 small Onion
- 4 Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 branches Oregano
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 cups Spinach – fresh
- 1/3 cup Lemon Juice
How to prepare Lentil Soup with Spinach and Lemon?
- Soak the lentils in plenty of cold water for at least 2 hours. You can soak them well in the morning and then cook them in the evening after work.
- Halve the leeks, if necessary, cut off the very dark green. Wash well to make sure that there is no more sand in the leek. Then quarter the leek and cut into pieces about 0.5 inch in size.
- Peel the onions and cut into small cubes, just like the garlic. Peel the potatoes and cut into 0.75 inch cubes.
Heat the olive oil briefly in a large saucepan. Sweat the onions, garlic and leek in it for a short time.
- Then add the potatoes, the lentils, the oregano and the bay leaves and pour in the vegetable stock.
- Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes until the lentils and potatoes are cooked. Remove the bay leaves.
- Wash the spinach and add to the soup, just before serving. Then add the lemon juice and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy your Lentil Soup with Spinach and Lemon.
Instead of spinach you could also use kale and maybe add 1-2 carrots as well.