I am not really a big fish fan, although I am a Hamburg original, as I have mentioned in the past. From my current “catch” the oven roasted Pak Choy with carrot ginger gel and glazed salmon I still dream though. Although salmon is not one of the leanest fish, it is particularly healthy because of healthy fats. During my shopping trip in Hamburg Eppendorf I was inspired by my favorite fish seller Fische Schmidt. The tasting of the orange liqueur with single malt of Piekfeine Brände in the wine house Gröhl did the rest. The result is a great recipe for Pak Choy and Carrots with Carrot Ginger Gel and Salmon.
Going shoppingen when your hungry is certainly not a good idea; on the other hand, I get exciting ideas. The Pak Choy was already in my refrigerator, and the idea to cook him in the oven I already had. Was not sure yet however with the additional components. A walk through Hamburg Eppendorf certainly help.
When I visited Fische Schmidt sighting the salmon it was a done deal. Salmon would fit beautifully with the Pak Choy. Actually, then I only wanted to buy a wine in the wine house Gröhl, but could not resist the tasting of Piekfeine Brände from Bremen.
The Pak Choy and the salmon are supplemented by a carrot ginger gel. It sounds much more complicated than it is. The freshness of the carrot and the ginger complement the other components wonderfully. The carrot ginger gel consists of fresh carrot ginger juice, which is made with agar agar into gel form. In order to make the serving simple and prettier, the carrot ginger juice is simply added to small silicon forms after boiling with agar agar.
With this dish you will surprise your guests. Above all, you have time to look after your guests. The preparation for this fast and healthy dish is simple and requires only a few handgrips. The vegetables and the carrot ginger gel as well as the glazing for the salmon you can prepare wonderfully. Later, the vegetables are cooked in the oven and you only need a few minutes for the salmon.
Glazed Salmon with Pak Choy & Carrots and Carrot Ginger GelPrint This
What do you need for Carrot Ginger Gel?
- 1.1 lbs Carrots
- 1 inch Ginger Fresh, grated
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1.5 tsp Agar Agar
- (1.3) (cups) Water (If you do not have juicer and work with a blender)
What do you need for Pak Choy & Carrots Oven Roasted?
- 2 Baby Pak Choy
- 8 Carrots
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp Gamaso or roasted sesame seeds
What do you need for glazed Salmon?
- 1.1 lbs Salmon Filet Fresh, no skin
- 3 tbsp Tamari
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 inch Ginger Fresh, grated
- 0.25 inch Chili Fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Orange Liqueur with Single Malt or 1 tbsp Orange juice with a dash of Single Malt Whiskey
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil – For cooking the salmon
How to make Carrot Ginger Gel?
- Juice the carrots and ginger. Add lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- (If you do not have a juice, just peel the carrots and ginger. Cut into very small pieces. Add together with the water, lemon juice and a pinch of salt to the carrots and ginger pieces into a blender. On high speed blend until very, very smooth, maybe add a bit more water. Afterwards poor everything through a strainer into a pot.)
- Add the carrot ginger juice to a pot with the Agar Agar. Mix well. Bring to a boil, then boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit and then add to small silicon forms. Put into the fridge for 30 – 60 minutes, depending on the size of your silicon form.
How to make Oven Roasted Pak Choy & Carrots?
- Wash your Pak Choy and cut into half. Peel the carrots and cut in half as well.
- Grease a form that can go into the oven with oil and spread the Pak Choy and carrots on it.
- Preheat oven to 320° Fahrenheit.
- Mix your olive oil, sesame oil and tamari. Poor over the vegetables.
- Turn your vegetables to marinate all sides. Sprinkle the Gamaso on the vegetables.
- The vegetables take around 20 minutes in your oven, turn once in a while.
How to make Glazed Salmon?
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Cut your salmon filet in evenly pieces. Mix your olive oil, tamari and the orange liqueur (or orange juice).
- Add grated ginger and finely chopped chili.
- Cook your salmon from each side for 1 minute. Depending on how you like your salmon. I like it more Sashimi style, then 1 minute should be fine. Make sure you cook all sides. Turn the heat off.
- Poor the marinade over the salmon, leave for another 1 or 2 minute, turn the salmon in the marinade.
- Serve the salmon on top of your roasted Pak Choy and carrots.
- The Carrot Ginger Gel should easily leave your silicon forms. Just ad to your plate next to the salmon and the vegetables.