A while ago I bought in a supermarket in Hamburg a bag of Peanut Butter Protein Balls, since I am a great lover of peanuts and peanut butter. I thought this would be the perfect little snack. Energy through the dates plus protein. And it was the perfect snack, I was right. The balls were very delicious but also very expensive. So I looked at the ingredients list and now – here are my own gluten free, vegan Peanut Butter Protein Bliss Balls.
I have slightly modified the recipe compared to the “original”, for example, I use a vanilla rice protein powder instead of whey protein, but only because I had non at home. If you are not vegan and have home another protein powder at home, go for it.You can use whey protein powder or any other protein powder as well. Chocolate whey protein powder is also a huge winner for these Peanut Butter Protein Bliss Balls.
My little bliss balls also list the Superfoods Maca and Lucuma. Maca is grown in the Andes highlands and used in South America for a long time already. Maca rumored to enhance your performance, to improve the concentration and is considered a natural aphrodisiac. Maca is a tuber and is grown in more than 4,000 meters above sea level. The plant is exposed to various weather conditions – from extreme heat to cold, rain and storm. Because of this changeable weather, the plant is incredibly durable. These powers are also attributed with this natural medicine.
Not sure if this all true, like all superfoods, you never know what is an urban myth or not but there are some studies out there that do confirm some of the positive affects of Maca. I further enjoy the malty taste that Maca has. Further I use sunflower seeds instead of nuts in this recipe. Firstly it protects your wallet, since they are much cheaper then nuts. Also friends who have a nut allergy can enjoy those bliss balls.
Gluten free, vegan Peanut Butter Protein Bliss BallsPrint This
- 1 cup Dates
- 2 tbsp. Water
- 3 tbsp. Peanut Butter – unsweetened
- 3 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup Oats – gluten free
- 2 tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp. Maca Powder
- 2 tbsp. Rice Protein Powder – I use Vanilla but you can also use chocolate or any other protein powder. Just make sure it is not overly sweetened.
- 1 tsp. Lucuma
- Put dates, water peanut butter and coconut oil in a mixer, high speed until you have a nice smooth texture.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix again until you have a dough like consistency and everything is really incorporated and wet.
- Try forming one ball with your hands. If they are too crumbly you can add a bit more water but need to mix everything again. If it is too soft, add some oats.
- Form your peanut butter bliss balls until all dough is gone. Keep the in a lid container in the fridge if possible. Please use in approx. one week.