Yesterday one of my girlfriends and I went to a cafe for breakfast. Another friend of mine raved for weeks about this amazing cafe and the breakfast there. By accident we bumped into the girlfriend that told me about that place, what a nice coincident. Should you be in Hamburg and looking for a nice breakfast place I can recommend Nord Coast Coffee. A really nice cafe, plus incredibly good coffee and even better breakfast.
What I appreciate is they offer some new ideas and the important allergens are right on the card. I went for the gluten-free Quinoa Fritters with avocado, a poached egg and a beetroot hollandaise. Definitely, the best breakfast in a cafe, restaurant, I’ve had for ages. The quinoa fritters have tasted so good that I decided today I will make my own and somehow modified version. Since I still have so much kale in my fridge I thought kale would work very well with the quinoa.
Sure the Quinoa Kale Fritters do not only work for breakfast but are also nice for lunch or dinner. They are a nice side dish or can be served as a main course with some salad on the side as well as some dip like avocado or aioli. When you have guests you can easily prepare the fritters before and keep them warm in the oven.
Quinoa is a seed that originally comes from South America. It contains a large concentration of important amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Compared to, for example, rice, Quinoa has a much higher nutrient density, is naturally gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup Quinoa – uncooked
- 1/2 cup Kale
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Qat Meal
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Sriacha Sauce
- Sea Salt for seasoning
- Pepper for seasoning
- Cook quinoa with approx. 1 cup water until tender. Put in a bowl and let it cool off for a bit.
- Wash the kale, make sure to get hard stems out and cut in smaller pieces, add to bowl. Cut all the other vegetables in small cubes and add to the quinoa and kale together with all other ingredients.
- Heat some coconut oil in a pan and with a tablespoon get some of the quinoa kale mixture, form a ball, make sure everything sticks together. Press the ball a little, in the end your fritter should be not too thin to fall apart but also you do not want it to look like a falaffel.
- Brown the fritters on both sides until golden.
When you have guests you can store the ready fritters in your warm oven. Either serve the fritters as seen on the pictures with some avocado and a poached egg or with avocado dip, aioli, or a nice salad.