Long Easter weekend and you might still be searching for a fun and easy recipe to serve at your Easter feast with friends and family. In Germany asparagus, green and white, is very common at Easter. Normally it is cooked and served with ham, butter or Sauce Hollandaise and some potatoes. I love this dish even though all I need is lots of asparagus, pinch of salt and a bit of melted butter on top and I am happy. This Raw Asparagus Salad with Avocado Dressing is a nice change to serving asparagus and Avocado.
Know it sounds strange to serve asparagus raw but when cut in thin slices with your vegetable cutter you do not need to cook the asparagus and you can serve it raw. The taste of the thinly sliced raw, green asparagus reminds me a bit of firm cucumbers, just better. I am sure I will come up with some more recipes on what to do with raw, green asparagus. Maybe you do have some suggestions for me, just write them in the comments or on Instagram.
Outside Germany I do see way more green then white asparagus. White asparagus is grown under the soil and because the asparagus does not see sun light it is still white. As soon as the white asparagus comes out of the soil the parts that will be exposed to sunlight will turn into a violet color, not green. Why is asparagus so healthy? First of all asparagus is low in calories and high in fiber, keeps you satisfied for a while. Further the high amount of the aminoacid asparagine flushes salt and excess fluids out since it works as a natural dioretic. The antioxidants will support your immun system and the Vitamin E your skin, hair for example.
Vegan Raw Asparagus Salad with Avocado Dressing and StrawberriesPrint This
Raw Asparagus Salad
- 1 bunch Asparagus green
- 1 pint Strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 Avocado
- 1 tbsp Terragon – Chopped
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil – Or any other flavorless oil
- 3 tbsp Water
- Sea Salt – For seasoning
- Black Pepper – For seasoning
- Wash the green asparagus, cut of approx. 1 inch at the bottom. Thinly shave your asparagus with a vegetable peeler, best place the asparagus in your palm and on your arm while shaving it.
- Wash, hull and slice the strawberries. Mix asparagus and strawberries.
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a mixer and mix on full speed until you do have a smooth dressing.
- Serve the raw and shaved asparagus with the strawberries and the avocado dressing on top.