Having eaten so much pumpkin recently, I urgently needed a change. The red cabbage in my fridge looked at me and wanted me to come up with something. What goes better with red cabbage than a fruity apple for the acid, plus a few walnuts for the crunch. Since I love baked goat cheese, the choice was pretty easy to add some creaminess to it. The result was so delicious that I immediately ate my portion of Red Cabbage Apple Salad with Baked Goat Cheese for the next day.
Most think of red cabbage as a warm dish, which is eaten especially in the autumn and winter time. This will hopefully be with a delicious gravy and the red cabbage should have the right spice. Red cabbage often tastes best when warmed up from the day before. As I am writing this I am already thinking about which warm red cabbage recipe to share with you? I appreciate suggestions and wishes in the comments.
Actually, we all like to eat soups and stews in this gray, cold weather. The Red Cabbage Apple Salad with Baked Goat Cheese still has something warming and hopefully will please you. If there is no red cabbage on Christmas as a side dish, the salad also fits wonderfully as an appetizer. The advantage is that it is easy to prepare ahead to really have time with your loved ones.
The goat cheese is put on thin beetroot slices in the oven, you can also prepare that way ahead. Just before serving, the baking tray with beetroot and goat cheese slices is simply put into the oven. If you like beetroot, try maybe my Beetroot Salad with Horseradish as well.
Red Cabbage Apple Salad with Baked Goat CheesePrint This
What do you need for Red Cabbage Apple Salad?
- 1 Red Cabbage – small head
- 2-3 Apples – sour ones that are firm
- 1 cup Walnuts – chopped
- 1 Beetroot – The beetroot should have diameter that fits the goat cheese slice
- 1 roll Goat Cheese
What do you need for Apple Vinegar Dressing?
- 5 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Apple Juice
- 4 tbsp Grape Seed Oil – or any other neutral tasting one
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Sweet Mustard
- Sea Salt – for seasoning
- Black Pepper – for seasoning
How to prepare the Red Cabbage Salad with Baked Goat Cheese?
- Cut red cabbage into thin strips, then cut the strips again, place in a bowl. I recommend wearing disposable gloves for the entire preparation. Red cabbage and beetroot both color very strongly.
- Wash the apples, quarter them and remove the core. I use a slicer to cut the apple in julienne, but you can also cut the apple into thin strips with a knife.
- Give the apples to the red cabbage.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl well with a fork or in a blender. Taste and add sea salt and black pepper for seasoning.
- Add the dressing to the red cabbage and apple and work best with the hands to coat everything with dressing.
- I recommend leaving the salad for about 30 minutes. Therefore, start with the salad first.
- Peel beetroot and slice thinly. Preheat the oven with top heat to 350 ° Fahrenheit. Lay out a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the beetroot slices on the baking tray.
- Cut the goats cheese roll into slices approx. 0.5 inch thick. Place a goat cheese slice on a slice of beetroot. Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until golden yellow.
- Chop the walnuts and mix under the red cabbage apple salad. Serve red cabbage apple salad on a plate or in a bowl.
- In the photo my salad is on a green red chard salad, but it works without it.
- The beetroot goat cheese slices can be easily lifted off the baking paper and served on the red cabbage apple salad.