Who does not love spaghetti? Unfortunately, because of my gluten intolerance I often need to pass since there is no gluten free option available. Then I am dreaming of this Spaghetti Squash with Vegetable Bolognese. How practical is it that there are spaghetti, which naturally have the right shape and are still gluten-free. Okay, the spaghetti squash has to sweat a little bit in the oven before you can scratch the “spaghetti” from the inside of the squash and eat it.
Spaghetti squash are not that often available, they are pretty rare in most stores. The other varieties such as Hokaido or butternut are now standard in most supermarkets. Hopefully this will also soon happen to Spaghetti squash. You can already find some other pumpkin recipes, such as pumpkin chocolate muffins or butternut squash ice cream on my blog if you are also a general pumpkin lover.
For me spaghetti squash is clearly my favorite, unfortunately also the rarest. The spaghetti squash has a very solid fruit pulp. Therefore you first need to heat up the pumpkin, for example in the oven, before you can use the delicious inside. To me the taste is a bit different to other pumpkin but would not be my favorite if I would not like it. It further comes with numerous option on how to use it, especially since it will not get as mushy as the other pumpkin varities. Maybe you should not use it for soup would be kind of a waste.
I am already looking forward to many other recipes, I have a lot of ideas. You can bake the squash, you can gratin the squash or add other ingredients to complement it. So let’s keep our fingers crossed that I will harvest more of them in the stores. With luck you can sometimes find them on weekly farmer markets or in some organic shops.
Spaghetti Squash with Vegetable BolognesePrint This
- 1/2 Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 Red Pepper
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Onion
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 4 tbsp. Tomato Puree
- 2 tbsp. Vodka – If you are cooking for kids you can leave that out and use water instead.
- 2 tbsp. Olives I used green olives
- 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano Dried or fresh
- 1 Pinch Chili
- Sea Salt – For seasoning
- Black Pepper – For seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, take out the seeds with your hands or a spoon. Poor 1/4 cup water, maybe a bit more, depending on the size of your ovenproof dish. Should be around 1/2 inch of water. Put squash in the oven for approx. 30 minutes.
- While the squash is in the oven, wash and peel the red pepper. You do not have to do that step but makes them a bit easier to digest. Further peel onion and carrots.
- Cut red pepper, onion, carrots and olives in small cubes.
- When the squash is done, take the dish out of the oven and with a spoon or fork loosen the fruit from the skin. Be careful to not burn yourself. To keep it warm put it back in the form, with no water and place it in the oven again with the oven turned of.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan, saute the onions until golden. Add red pepper and carrots as well the the tomato puree. Leave in for 1-2 minutes, make sure nothing burns. Further add oregano, chili, sea salt and pepper and deglaze with the vodka. Add the olives, then add 1/4 cup water to the pan and let everything boil for a bit until the vegetables are cooked but still firm to bite.
- Serve the Squash Spaghetti with the sauce. I also sprinkle some parmesan on top as well as some of my dried tomatoes.