When you have some fruit at home that is still good but maybe does not look so pretty anymore my tip is puree it. The puree can be used for a lot of fun recipes like this Strawberry Chia Pudding or my Amaranth Blueberry Yoghurt. Somehow this recipe has something from a nice Panna Cotta with Strawberry sauce. I was actually so inspired and had so much Strawberry sauce left that I also made some vegan Panna Cotta. We will see how it turned out and then I will also share that recipe with you.
As everyone else I do like quick, healthy dishes that are also good to go. Therefore this recipe for Strawberry Chia Pudding is perfect. You can prepare it ahead in a container with a lid and then next day put it in your bag. You will be happy to have this yummy breakfast or snack with you. Chia seeds add fiber to your diet. Because they can absorb around 10 times their weight in liquid they will keep your cravings in place. You should feel fuller when eating them and therefore eat less. Always make sure you are adding enough liquid, best water to your diet when eating chia seeds or actually any kind of food.
Further chia seeds are a decent source of protein and Omega-3. Still there is the idea that chia seeds are the food to eat for Omega-3 but unfortunately that is not true. Yes, they do contain more Omega-3 in one gram than for example Salmon but it is mostly Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) that still needs to be converted in the active forms EPA and DHA. It has been proven that chia seeds can increase the level of ALA and EPA in humans but unfortunately not DHA. It seems that our bodies can not easily transform ALA into DHA. Do not get me wrong you can still call chia seeds healthy or if you like the term a superfood. For example they are good for your bone strucuture since they contain 18% calcium which is quite impressive since this is more than most dairy products.
Vegan, gluten-free Strawberry Chia PuddingPrint This
- 3/4 cup Plant Milk – I used Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract – Optional
Strawberry Yoghurt Topping
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Coconut Yoghurt – or any yoghurt you like
- In a container with a lid mix the chia seeds, plant milk and the vanilla extract. I do not sweeten my chia pudding, I like it plain. You could add some favored sweetener like stevia, agave- or maple syrup.
- Stir, mix everything very well, again 10 minutes later. Let the chia seeds absorb the liquid, so leave it at least an hour in the fridge, best overnight.
- Next day, an hour later – Puree the strawberries until smooth, again with ripe strawberries you do not need any sweetener.
- Fill the chia pudding in containers, add the strawberry sauce and on top the yoghurt. For this nice swirl I used the stalk of a spoon top to bottom at the side of the glas.