Closing my eyes and thinking about my perfect breakfast, how would that look like? Certainly I would be sitting outside, sun is shining, under a big umbrella with lots of flowers around me. For sure I would be eating this gluten free, vegan Strawberry Filled French Toast. In Germany French Toast is not that common but living in the US for a while made me fall in love with French Toast. When going gluten free the options for good bread where very limited therefore French Toast and I were on a break for a while. Nowadays the variety is much bigger.
Most stores have a gluten free section and offer a variety of gluten free products. Even though I cook or bake most of my food from scratch once in a while I also go for products from the supermarket. For my Strawberry Filled French Toast I use Artisan Multigrain Bread from Schär. This post is not sponsored but people do ask me which bread I would recommend.
Out there are some not very great tasting once because of that I wanted to share my choice. In addition the ingredients for some gluten free breads are not what I would consider healthy. Some breads have nearly zero fiber and are just made with empty calories. In general I do not like to say I eat gluten free. Instead I would say I eat healthy. Certain people have the wrong believe.
For some reason they think buying and eating gluten free convenient food would make them loose weight. By all means this is not true. What does make you loose weight is looking at ingredients, know what you are eating and if possible preparing your own food. Further you should cut out industrial sugar. Best is to keep your blood sugar level somehow stable. If you are more the Waffle lover for breakfast, I also have an easy recipe for gluten-free Oatmeal Waffles on here.
Vegan Strawberry Filled French ToastPrint This
What do you need for Vegan French Toast?
2 tsp Chia Flour – Grind your chia seeds in a blender.
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Nutrional yeast
4 slices Bread – I use gluten free Multigrain bread from Schär. Bread should not be too thick because you use two slices.
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
What do you need for Strawberry Filling?
1/2 cup Strawberries – If you do not have fresh once you can use frozen strawberries
2 tsp Chia Flour
How to make Strawberry Filled French Toast?
- Mix all the ingredients for the French Toast besides the bread in a shallow bowl. Leave in the fridge for 10 minutes for the chia flour to thicken the mixture a bit.
- Wash the strawberries, take the stems out, cut them in half and add together with the chia flour to a blender. Mix on medium speed until you have a jam like consistency. Leave for 10 minutes until it thickens a bit.
- Take one slice of bread, put approx. 1 tbsp. strawberry filling in the middle, do not spread too close to the sides. Put the other slice on top. Gently press together. Heat a skillet with the coconut oil. Turn the heat a bit down.
- Gently dip your strawberry filled bread into the batter, make sure you hold the two slices together. Each side should be nicely battered and not be still dry.
- Place in your skillet and cook until golden brown, gently turn and brown the other side. Should take 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with some fresh fruit, maple syrup or whatever you desire.