Today was the first day it really felt like the winter is over. What better way to celebrate this then making a huge batch of this creamy, Vegan Tonka Bean Stracciatella Ice Cream. The best part of this ice cream is that it does not use refined sugar, but zero calorie Erythritol. Erythritol is described as having a zero glycemic index, and it has not been found to affect blood sugar or insulin levels. It is natural and has been approved by the FDA. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and supposedly will go through your digestive system right away. Compared to other sugar alcohols it should not cause any digestive issues.
Probably I am not the only one that loves ice cream, especially during the summer. Okay, lets be honest, ice cream works for every season to boost my happiness. While during the winter we are all bundled up, the summer season calls for less clothes and we all want to look our best. So this Vegan Tonka Bean Stracciatella Ice Cream is perfect. Yes, it does contain some fat from the coconut cream but since it does not contain regular sugar it is not that bad. Further, you body does need some fat to work properly. Promise this will not end up as love handles on your hips. Anyway, life should be indulging in happiness and this is pure happiness to me.
On my blog you also find another, more adult ice cream version with Tonka Bean, my Tonka Gin Tonic Popsicle. This one is the creamy, non alcoholic version and as to my friend Anja, best ice cream she ever had. Not sure this is totally true but still happy though that she does like it. Already promised her that next time she comes over I will have some for her. I guess it is a favorite of hers since she is not so much for desserts and sweets and loves coconut. So truely since not so sweet ice cream with a coconut base is perfect for her taste buds.
Stracciatella comes from the italian word “stracciare” which has the meaning “to shred”. Shred in this case is the chocolate. When you slowling add the liquid chocolate to the ice cream, it will freeze and the ice cream maker will kind of shred it. Therefore your Tonka Bean Stracciatella Ice Cream has this chocolate running through it.
Vegan Tonka Bean Straciatella Ice CreamPrint This
- 2 cups Coconut Milk Full fat
- 2 cups Coconut Milk – this is not full fat, somewher between cream and coconut water. You could also use Almond Milk
- 6 tbsp Erythritol or coconut sugar or any other sweetner
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean
- 1/2 Tonka Bean
- 1 tsp Guar Gum
- 3.5 oz Dark Vegan Chocolate – or regular if you are not vegan, should be more then 70% Cocoa
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- In a pot heat the coconut milk, full fat and the milky one. With a fine grater add the tonka bean and vanilla extract. Be careful do not use too much tonka bean because it could be harmful. Then add the guar gum.
- Wisk and let it cook on low heat for around once minute. Add the erythitol and wisk again. The guar gum will thicken everything a bit. After one minute, turn the heat of and let it cool down.
- Cover it and put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours or best over night. You want to make sure it is really cold in order to make it easier for your ice cream maker.
- Poor the coconut tonka bean cream in your ice cream maker. While the ice cream maker is running, melt your chocolate together with the coconut oil. Let it cool down for a bit. When the ice cream is already a frozen, soft cream, very consistency, slowly tablespoon by tablespoon let the chocolate run into your ice cream. Wait until the chocolate hardens a bit, then add more until all chocolate is in your ice cream.
- If your ice cream is still too soft after your ice cream maker is done, Put it in the freezer for some 30 minutes before you serve it.