Life should be fun and of course, at least for me, when the sun is shining, it is summer and ice-cream and once in a while a good Gin Tonic, or Tonka Gin Tonic Popsicle. Okay I admit, this works also with the sun not shining, at least it makes me dream of summer. Gin has become a fashionable drink, even the small bars in the neighborhood praise now that they can offer a variety of gins. They even offer gin tastings so you learn about the differences. Something pretty fun you should try if you get a chance. Until recently I was not even gin fan. When choosing between Gin and Vodka I would have always opted for the vodka. Until one of my dearest friends Daniel Soumikh developed his own TONKA Gin.
I still remember when he introduced us to his gin, standing in my garden and one of the first bottles in his hand. I believe at that point the bottle did not even have a label yet. He wanted to have our opinion about his “baby”, he was, rightly, proud as a father to his firstborn. And he really convinced me to change my mind and now I do not automatically choose Vodka over Gin, especially TONKA Gin. And meanwhile he is really successful with his TONKA Gin, has been mentioned in various newspapers like “Beef” or “STERN” and his gin is available in many bars throughout Germany and even some specialty stores.
As a small tribute to this barbecue and to Daniel, I have been thinking to make a TONKA Gin Tonic popsicle. Of course you can use any but if you are able to get your hands on a bottle, trust me, you should give it a try. The special touch comes from the Tonka bean. The bean has a sweet taste that is reminiscent of vanilla and almond. Frequent use of the tonka bean is in desserts. It is said it has a mesmerizing, erotic effect. Because of the ingredient Cumarin tonka bean was a forbidden food for a while.There is now a maximum of cumarin which may be present in food in order to be allowed. If you are living in the US then I am sorry you will not be able to try this since the FDA does not allow Tonka as a food ingredient. Do not worry, of course, the maximum limit is not reached in the the TONKA Gin. You are fine to have more then one of your Gin Tonic popsicles since it will not be easy to just have one, believe me.
Together with the refreshing pureed cucumber and lime this stuff is amazing. Actually when I was left with some liquid since all molds where filled up I decided this also makes a quite nice drink by itself and not only works as a Gin Tonic popsicle.
Tonka Gin Tonic PopsiclesPrint This
4.5 cups Tonic Water
8 cl Tonka Gin – or any other Gin. You can also increase the amount a bit if you like it stronger.
- Keep a tiny bit of cucumber and lime for decoration. The should be sliced very thinly.
- Put the TONKA Gin, cucumber and 1 cup of the Tonic Water in your mixer, add the juice of the limes. Turn your mixer on high volume for 2 minutes. The liquid should very smooth, no chunks of cucumber in it.
- Pour the liquid through a strainer in a pitcher, add the rest of the tonic water. Maybe adjust a little if you like your Gin Tonic stronger you can still add some Gin. The strain the liquid makes the outcome a little nicer.
- Place the thinly sliced cucumber and lime in the molds, one cucumber and one lime in each mold.
- Poor the liquid from the pitcher in the popsicle molds, everything in the freezer and let it freeze for like 8 hours. Do not worry if you have liquid left, makes an amazing drink as well. CHEERS!