I would say there is no real season for ice cream. Whether it is summer, autumn or winter. But there are certain varieties that start popping up as soon as the leaves start to fall. Pumpkin Ice Cream clearly belongs to that category. In Germany pumpkin ice cream is not necessarily as well known as in the US. Hopefully with this Vegan Butternut Squash Ice Cream this will change.
It has taken a while that pumpkin became cool again in Germany along with Halloween I would say. Halloween is not really my thing. We people from Northern Germany are not that into dressing up. The US is way more into pumpkin then Germany, from pumpkin ice cream, to pumpkin frosting on cupcakes and for sure the season of pumpkin latte at any well known coffee shop. Pumpkin latte and pumpkin ice cream are clearly my favorites in this list. I will try to come up with some more pumpkin recipes. If you are interested in anything in particular please leave me a comment or write me an email.
Pumpkin has no particularly strong taste, can used in sweet or savory dishes. Personally, I favor the sweet pumpkin dishes for the savory once pumpkin itself is a little too plain. What most people do not know, Pumpkin is one of the oldest cultivated plants of mankind and it belongs to the berries, which somewhat is surprising. There are several types of squash, estimates are there are several hundreds.
Some like the Hokkaido pumpkin since you can eat the skin as well. Pumpkin or as it is called squash contains a lot of beta-carotene, a vitamin A precursor. Beta carotene is a natural dye, which is also responsible for the intense orange color. Vitamin A is important for our nerves and our skin. Further pumpkin has many healthy fibers. Once we have clarified how healthy pumpkin is, the pumpkin ice cream tastes even better.
What goes better with ice cream then a still warm, moist brownie. In the photo you see my vegan Almost Healthy Brownie which is so nicely moist, like a brownie should be but without any added sugar or fat, almost too good to be true. Additional elements of the whole dessert here are spiced plums from the oven. They can be easily prepared and go with many desserts.
Butternut Squash Ice CreamPrint This
- 1.5 cups Butternut Squash or any other pumpkin of your choice
- 1 Can Coconut milk
- 1 Vanilla Bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Cardamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ginger
- 1/2 cup Pecan Nuts
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Maple Syrup or agave syrup, depending on your sweet tooth
- 1 tsp. Tapioka optional, makes it a bit creamier.
Cut the skin of the butternut squash and then the fruit in to small cubes. Steam or boil the cubes until soft, approx. 10 minutes. Let the butternut cool down a bit.
Put the butternut as well as all other ingredients into the mixer, turn on high until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.
- If you are using an ice cream maker while the cooling part is in the freezer, chill the mixture already in the fridge until really cold. That way you can eat the ice cream right out of the machine. If the mixture is still too warm you could have a problem.
- Add the chilled butternut mixture to your ice cream machine and let it run until you have the desired texture. You might have to chill the ice cream for a bit in your freezer before serving.
- You do not need an ice cream maker in order to make the butternut squash ice cream. You can poor it in a freezer container and freeze it for a couple of hours. Since the ice cream has some fats from the coconut milk and the nuts it should freeze without crystals. Would still recommend to churn it once in a while.