When going gluten free one of my favorite desserts was of the table – Tiramisu. Since 99 per cent of the restaurants do not have a gluten free version I take the 2nd best option – Panna Cotta. Unfortunately I also do not handle dairy very well so I decided to share a vegan version with you that is made with coconut milk. Normally Panna Cotta is done with cream but coconut works the same magic, giving it a creamy texture.
Somehow most people are scared or call it too shy to make Panna Cotta because it needs gelatin or in this case agar agar. Agar Agar comes from an algae and can be used instead of gelatin. Sounds more complicated than it is. You might have to experiment a bit with the amount of agar agar you like for your Panna Cotta. Some people like it very soft and others if it has a bit more of a jelly consistency. I would say I like it somewhere in between.
The good thing about making your own Panna Cotta is you decide on the consistency and more important how sweet you like it. I actually do not add any sweetener at all since the taste of the coconut milk with the coconut yoghurt and strawberry sauce is sweet enough more more. Most restaurant do for my taste a version that is too sweet. You can also play around with this base recipe like adding chocolate powder, food color like beet root powder for a pink version or add some cacao nibs.
This dessert can be easily prepared for guests, even in higher quantities. Mostly I fill the vegan Coconut Panna Cotta mostly in small silicon forms. Since from those molds it is very easy to remove the Panna Cotta from them. Further you can just serve it in glasses and you have no need at all to get it out of the mold. If you do like Panna Cotta as much as I do there is also a Strawberry Chia Pudding on the blog that tastes a bit like a Panna Cotta.
Vegan Coconut Panna Cotta with Strawberry SaucePrint This
Coconut Panna Cotta
- 1 can Coconut Milk Full fat
- 1/2 cup Coconut Yoghurt – Adds some freshness
- 1 tsp Agar Agar Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract or 1 Vanilla Bean
- Sweetener by choice
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 tbsp Agave Syrup – or any other sweetener
Vegan Coconut Panna Cotta
- Stir the agar agar in the coconut milk as well as the vanilla. Heat everything while stirring, let it boil for approx. 1 minute. Add some sweetener like Agave syrup if you like it a bit sweeter.
- Mix the coconut yoghurt with the coconut milk. Make sure you do not have any lumps in it. Poor it in your ramekins or silicon form. Put them in the fridge for at least 4 hours, better over night.
- Turn your ramekin that is covered with a plate so your Panna Cotta comes out. Serve the Panna Cotta with pureed fruit or chocolate.
- Wash your strawberries, cut the stem of and put them together with your sweetener in the blender.
- Blend until you have a very smooth consistency, maybe add a bit of lemon juice.
- To not have any seeds in the sauce pass it through a sieve.