As you could see, I am a fan of sprouted seeds and legumes. The benefits of sprouted seeds and legumes can be found in my post and recipe Matcha Sprouted Hemp Bars. Promise I will soon make a longer post about sprouting. To make it short sprouting increases the nutrient density and digestibility. If you do not have the time or patience to sprout the lentils for around 2 days you can still make the Salad with Sprouted Lentils but with cooked Beluga lentils. The taste will be slightly different, sprouted lentils have a fresher, nuttier taste compared to cooked lentils that have a bit more of an earthy flavor.
Sprouted lentils are accompanied by fresh and juicy Grapefruit and sunny, dried tomatoes. The Shiitake mushrooms add this tiny bit of smoky flavor and further lots of health benefits. Shiitake mushrooms or called Shitake mushrooms have all essential amino acids, even linolic acid, proven to support weight loss. Several studies suggest that Shiitake mushrooms support your immune system. In the Chinese Medicine (TCM) this has been used for hundreds of years. They have copper, Vitamin D to support you bones, immune system and to help against depression, Vitamin B 3, B3, B5 and B6 and they help your gut flora. There are many more benefits about Shiitake mushrooms, I can only recommend to read more about them and especially to eat them more often.
Vegan Salad with Sprouted LentilsPrint This
- 1 cup Beluga Lentils raw, before sprouting or 2 cups sprouted lentils.
- 1 Onion – red
- 4 stalks Celery
- 1/2 cup Black Olives – No pitts
- 1 Grapefruit Pink
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Vergine
- 2 tbsp Aceto de Balsamico
- Black Pepper – For seasoning
- Sea Salt – For seasoning
- The lentils should be soaked for approx. 8 hours, then in a sprouting glass or glass with cheese cloth, so that the excess water can leav the glass, have the lentils sprouting for around 2 days. You need to rinse them twice a day. Before using them, rinse them and then add them to a big bowl.
- Cut the celery stalks in tiny cubes, further make sure the dried tomatoes are not too big. I use my own dried tomatoes from cherry tomatoes. If you store nough once you might need to cut them in half or even smaller. Further chopp the olives a bit, make sure the pitts are out and add everything to the bowl.
In a pan heat up the coconut oil, cut the Shiitake mushrooms in slices, then brown them in the pan with some sea salt until golden and set them aside.
- Filet the grapefruit by cutting of top and bottom and slicing around under the skin in a way to cut of the white part and not too much of the flesh. Then cut with the knive along the filets. Add the filets to the bowl, squeeze the grapefruit over the bowl to get all the juices left into the dressing.
- Juice the lemon, mix olive oil, Aceto and poor over the salad, season with sea salt and black pepper, let it rest for 30 min at least until 2 hours. Serve the salad topped with the Shiitake mushrooms.