29Do you feel that you can hardly believe that the year is almost over? In addition, there are the first questions what kind of plans you have for New Year’s Eve. But Christmas days come before that and maybe you’re already thinking about the food? That’s why I’ll be sharing ideas for delicious recipes for your Christmas menu over the next few weeks. First I’ll start with something sweet, flavors that fit perfectly into the cold season for me. That’s why I’m offering you a recipe for a delicious white chocolate-poppy mousse with red wine plums. I recommend you as a wine accompaniment from Mas Amiel 20 Ans d’Âge.
Sometimes it’s the little things that make you happy. That’s why you should take the time to see and enjoy them more. For me, poppies are one of the little things that put a smile on my face. Poppies and hydrangeas are my absolute favorites. Firstly, poppies have a habit of growing where they are least expected. Secondly, its red is beautiful, so authentic and intense. Thirdly, instead of simply withering, they spread their seeds further and increase their beauty. That’s why I chose this white poppy seed chocolate mousse with red wine plums for my dessert.
A smile will surely land on your face when you eat the white chocolate-poppy mousse with red wine plums. Happiness increases when you share it with loved ones. Especially at Christmas time many people take more time for others. Why not invite family or friends to a delicious dinner with you? For me these are usually the most beautiful evenings, when everyone sits together, the stomach is filled and one or two good wines also made it into the glass. Besides the red wine in the glass you also need a good red wine for the red wine plums. You can prepare the red wine plums 1 to 2 weeks before your dinner. So you’ll have more time to entertain for your guests when they are there. In addition, the red wine plums will keep for a few weeks in the preserving jar because of the boiling and the alcohol.
If you have prepared some additional red wine plum jars, they go very well with pancakes, yoghurt or quark. You can also prepare white chocolate-poppy mousse the day before the guests arrive. After all, you don’t want to stand in the kitchen all the time, but want to spend more time with your them. All you have to do then is to serve the white poppy seed chocolate mousse with red wine plums.
Mas Amiel 20 Ans d’Âge for food and wine pairing with White Chocolate Poppy Seed Mousse with Red Wine Plums
I recommend 20 Ans d’Âge from Mas Amiel as a wine accompaniment to the White Chocolate Poppy Seed Mousse with Red Wine Plums. At the roadshow Occitanie Sud de France last week I got to know this wine. You can find out more about the special Occitanie wine region by visiting my recipe for yellow vegetable curry.
20 Ans d’Âge is reminiscent of port wine. It is an enriched oxidized wine. The winery Mas Amiel with about 200 hectares of total area is located near the town of Maury in Perpignan. Here mainly red and white wines as well as enriched wines are vinified. When Olivier Decelle acquired the winery, it was not in good condition. Through hard work he managed to breathe new life into the winery and the vines. Since then, Mas Amiel has been producing fantastic wines.
For 20 Ans d’Âge, 3 grape varieties, 90% Grenache Noir, 5% Macabeo and 5% Carignan are harvested separately with manual harvesting, grown on slate and black marl. After harvesting, the grapes are destemmed. Then extra alcohol is added to the fruit (mutation). This is done to extract the aromas and polyphenols from the berries. In addition, the wine is stored in glass containers for 12 months in the sun, where it slightly oxidizes. After 12 months the wine is stored in wooden barrels for another 19 years before being sold.
The wine has a beautiful color of amber, dried figs and spices in the nose. In the mouth both are found, fig and spices like cinnamon but also a fresh note of liquorice. This wine goes wonderfully with the white chocolate poppy mousse with red wine plums.
White Chocolate Poppy Seed Mousse with Red Wine PlumsPrint This
Which ingredients do you need for white Chocolate Poppy Seed mousse?
- 4 sheets gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate couverture, white
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
- 1/3 cup poppy seed
Which ingredients do you need for red wine plums?
- 3 cups plums or damsons
- 1/2 vanilla pod (without 1 packet Bourbon vanilla sugar)
- 1/2 cup red wine, for example Pinot Noir
- 1 clove
- 1 piece(s) organic lemon zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp rum
How is White Chocolate Poppy Seed Mousse prepared?
- For the mousse, soak the gelatin leaves in cold water.
- Put the white chocolate and poppy seeds together with 150 ml cream and a pinch of salt in a pot and melt at low heat.
- Whisk the egg yolk and sugar over the hot water bath using a whisk. The egg yolk must not get too hot, otherwise it will curdle.
- Then remove the bowl from the water bath, wring out the gelatin well and fold into the egg mixture together with the chocolate-cream mixture.
- Whip the cream until stiff and mix with the egg mixture in a separate bowl.
How are Red Wine Plums prepared?
- Wash, halve and stone the plums. Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise.
- Scratch out the vanilla. Bring wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and lemon zest to the boil while stirring.
- Add the vanilla into the pod and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Fold in plums and simmer covered for approx. 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the rum and pour the plums into boiling preserving jars.
- Screw the lid on the red wine plums and turn the glasses over.
- Allow to cool and then serve with White Chocolate Poppy Seed Mousse.