Who doesn’t love a barbecue with friends in the summer? I am certainly very lucky that I can use a sweet little garden right before my apartment. For all those who have no possibility to barbecue, the steak can be prepared in a grill pan. If you are invited to the next barbecue, the other guests will be happy about marinated beets. My remaining beetroot was used one day later for an evening with friends. Even guests who aren’t actually beetroot fans have taken a second helping. The dish has some components, which you can of course also prepare and serve separately. Marinated beetroot with red wine cherries and steak and a delicious feta cream sounds elaborate, but it is not.
Each individual beetroot can be prepared 1 to 2 days in advance. The marinated beetroot as well as the red wine cherries should have one day to adjust to the flavors. Love to prepare more, because both will stay fresh for a few days in the fridge. Red wine cherries also taste good with grilled cheese. As chutney it is a delicious accompaniment to many kinds of meat. I like them on curd cheese or yogurt as well.
For the red wine cherries I recommend a delicious Pinot Noir. Of course you can use any red wine you like for cooking. From experience I would take a red wine with less tannins and a pleasant acidity. Pinot Noir is for me the perfect wine accompaniment to this delicious meal. During the summer I tend to drink white wine, but it can be red wine with the meat.
Siebeldinger Spätburgunder Muschelkalk VDP.ORTSWEIN 2015 of Dr. Wehrheim
For my Marinated Beetroot with red wine cherries, steak and feta cream I offer Siebeldinger Spätburgunder Muschelkalk VDP.ORTSWEIN 2015 by Dr. Wehrheim*. VDP. ORTSWEINE come from vineyards within a local community, if you have always wondered what it stands for. The winery Dr. Wehrheim exists in the 4th generation and is located in the beautiful Pfals in the local community of Birkweiler. Since 1920, the family owned winery has been producing wines of the highest quality. On 17 square meters and an average hectare yield is 5,000 hectares. Besides the Spätburgunder, Sankt Laurent, a Cuvee is also vinified. The Spätburgunder together with Riesling and Weißburgunder, however, make up about 80 percent of the grape variety level. White wines include Weißburgunder, Riesling, Chardonnay, Muskateller and Grauburgunder, Rosé and a Brut Rosé sparkling wine.
The Muschelkalk soil is a stony loam and clay soil interspersed with small and large limestones. The vines thrive at heights of up to 220 metres. The 2015er could have had 8 to 10 years more, but even so the wine was a pleasure. A nice dark red, dark berries in the nose but also strawberry and raspberry, some vanilla and violet with a nice finish. The pleasant acidity and integrated tannins go wonderfully with the meat, the beetroot and the sweetness of the cherries.
Marinated Beetroot with Red Wine Cherries and Steak with Feta CreamPrint This
What do you need for the marinated beetroot?
- 3 tubers of beetroot
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
What do you need for the red wine cherries?
- 2 cups fresh cherries, preferably morello cherries
- 1 cup Pinot Noir
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. cornflour
- 3 tbsp water
What do you need for the feta cream?
- 1 pack feta cheese
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
What do you need for the steak?
- 4 Steaks
How do you prepare the marinated beetroot?
- Cook beetroot in salted water with caraway seeds for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse cold, peel skin and cut tubers into slices. It is best to put on disposable gloves.
- Mix vinegar, honey, some salt, pepper and oil well. Pour over the beetroot. Marinate the beetroot overnight.
How do you make the red wine cherries?
- Wash and stone the cherries.
- Caramelise sugar in a pot.
- Deglaze sugar with red wine vinegar and Pinot Noir.
- Let the cherries simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk starch well with water.
- Add the starch to the cherries, bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Put it in a jar and put the lid on it, turn it over. Let the cherries cool down and leave to stand overnight.
- How is the feta cream prepared?
- Crumble the feta cheese and put it into the blender.
- Add cream and white wine vinegar and mix to a thin cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
How’s the steak made?
- Heat up the grill or grill pan.
- Salt steak from both sides.
- Fry the steak on both sides for about 2 – 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Leave to rest for about 3 minutes in the oven at 50 degrees or on a plate in the barbecue.
Arrange all components on the plate, cut the hoof steak into slices. I also sprinkled beet powder on my meat, but it doesn’t have to be.