Actually, I’m rather a fan of hearty dishes and would prefer a good cheese plate almost over any dessert. But if I have guests over for dinner a proper dessert is expected and served. My Matcha Ice Cream with Chocolate Ganache Tarte and Mango is inspired by the fondness of one of my guests. This very special guest likes exactly two types of ice cream, vanilla and matcha. A topic that haunts us. The reason is that we like to eat out with her and her partner. At least at the dessert and the loving offer of the restaurant for sorbets and ice cream, I am reminded of her fondness. Unfortunately, we rarely find Matcha ice cream on the menu. Therefore it was my pleasure to finally serve her some Matcha Ice Cream again.
As soon as I have an important, main ingredient for my dish, my brain starts working. What flavors can I pair with this? How can I supplement my dish and best complement to have another flavor dimension. Restaurant visits are always inspiring to me. Among other things, highly exciting and inspiring was how Kevin Fehling changes the aggregate states of ingredients at his restaurant “The Table“. Was a total and successful surprise to me. A “baked” Camembert comes as ice cream, just like the goose liver. Truly, you need to do some planning in advance to visit since it is booked out around six months in advance. Still, the wait it’s worth it.
The same applies to the “Bianc Restaurant” by Matteo Ferrentino. Matteo Ferrentino is the former chef of the two-star “Vila Joya” in Portugal. Since the end of November 2017, Matteo Ferrentino is cooking in the Hafencity in Hamburg. His Mediterranean cuisine at star level is delicious, surprising and I was thrilled. Same here, if you are looking for an amazing evening with fantastic cuisine you should make a reservation.
Now back to my menu. As an appetizer I have served my Tuna Tartar with cucumber ginger broth. Just like my dessert, this dish is easy to prepare, so I had time for my guests. Also, with the main course, I have paid attention to components that can be prepared a head. Finally, I just had to sear the sous-vide cooked beef fillet for a short while to serve it with the side dishes and miso cream. Having guests and just standing in the kitchen is not fun after all.
Of course, I was very happy that my Matcha Ice Cream with Chocolate Ganache Tarte and mango with a bit of chili and tequila as well as the lemon gel were really the successful end of a fun evening. Amazingly, I even managed to convince my brother of Matcha Ice Cream. First he was not really that enthusiastic about the idea. Finally I hope the dessert is so well received by your guests as it was by mine.
Matcha Ice Cream with Chocolate Ganache Tarte and Mango Chili Chutney and Lemon GelPrint This
What do you need for the Matcha Ice Cream?
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Full Fat Milk
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tsp. Matcha – Good Quality
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 cl Vodka
What do you need for the Chocolate Ganache Tarte?
- 3 Bars Dark Chocolate – At least 70%
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- Cocoa Powder – for decoration
What do you need for the Mango Chili Chutney?
- 1 Mango
- 2 tsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Lime – Juice of the lime
- 1 Chili – or 1/2 tsp. Chili Flakes
What do you need for the Lemon Gel?
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice – Fresh
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 0.15 ounce Agar Agar
How do you prepare the Matcha Ice Cream?
- Heat the cream, milk and sugar in a pot until the sugar has dissolved
- Stir in vanilla, pinch of salt and matcha until it is a homogeneous liquid
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool. Add the vodka and stir well.
- Refrigerate Matcha milk cream liquid in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Prepare Matcha Ice Cream in an ice cream machine and then allow to cool for a further 3 hours in the freezer. Without an ice cream machine, you just have to stir well every 30 minutes so that no ice crystals form in a closed container in your freezer. The vodka prevents the formation of ice crystals a bit. For children, the vodka can also be omitted.
How do you prepare the Chocolate Ganache Tarte?
- Line a smaller springform pan at the bottom with some baking paper or brush it with a neutral oil.
- Chop the chocolate. Heat the cream in a saucepan, add the chocolate. Attention, it is not allowed to cook. The chocolate should dissolve only slowly. Stir well so that you get a homogeneous mass.
- Stir in the butter and vanilla
- Take the pot of the stove
- Carefully lift the egg yolk below the mass.
- Put the chocolate mixture in the springform pan. Knock the springform pan slightly on a surface to dissolve bubbles.
- Chill the chocolate ganache tarte in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- Serve the tarte with cocoa powder and serve.
How do you prepare the Mango Chili Chutney?
- Peel the mango and cut the two halves down close to the pit.
- Cut the mango into very small cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the sugar, lime juice and tequila, stir well.
- Halve the vanilla pod, scrape it out and add.
- Halve the chilli, remove the seeds, mince them and add to the mango, stir well.
- Leave the mango chili chutney in the fridge for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
How do you prepare the Lemon Gel?
- Heat lemon juice, water and sugar in a pot and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the agar agar, stir well.
- Bring to a boil.
- All through a sieve.
- Put in the fridge for least 5 hours to allow it to gel properly.
- Put the gel into a blender, puree again and place in a piping bag, then cool again for 30 minutes