I am not sure where and when I first stepped over this watermelon salad. I would credit the source but I am just not sure. To me it feels like now watermelon salad with feta is everywhere. At first I found the idea of mixing juicy, sweet watermelon with feta cheese quite absurd but I thought just for the mixture of colors – green and red always work – I give it a chance. What can I say, we had a winner, watermelon salad with feta! I have changed the dressing a few times until it really convinced me but now I am at least really happy with it.
Most of the ingredients can be found in my fridge in the summer anyway or as with the mint it grows in my garden like weed so if I urgently need some food since I am starving or friends show up all of a sudden on my door step it is quick and easy to prepare.
If you are surprised to find here a recipes that contains lactose, I try my best, but so far I did not manage to live without cheese. I have tried several vegan options, unfortunately, I think the result has not yet been satisfying. Maybe you have one or the other tip, I can try. I believe that there are many options for substitutions but at least for me for cheese this is not true so far. If you have a lactose intolerance you can find lactose free feta cheese at some stores and some also have vegan feta cheese. Maybe an idea, I have not tried yet, is to use tofu. With tofu you just need more seasoning I believe. Let me know if you do have tried it with tofu.
Watermelon Salad with FetaPrint This
2.2 lbs Watermelon
0.6 lbs Feta Cheese
0.5 Cup Mint
2 Cups Ruccola Salad
2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Divide the watermelon, cut of the skin and then into not so huge cubes. Transfer everything in a nice big bowl.
- Take the feta cheese out of the package, drain it and also cut it into cubes and throw it on top of the watermelon cubes. You could also just crumble it on top of the watermelon.
- Wash, dry and cut the mint and rucola salad, add it to the bowl with the watermelon and feta cheese.
- Juice the lemon and mix the juice in a bowl together with the olive oil. Slightly season it with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, kindly mix everything up, try and maybe add some more salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
You should not prepare the salad too much in advance since the lemon and salt could make the salad too watery as it "drains" the water from the watermelon. If you ever listend to you teacher in school it is called osmosis.